“The Mission of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church in North America is to reach all people within its assigned territory with the gospel of Jesus Christ”
In accordance with our church mission, disabilities ministries is a service of the church that sensitizes its members to reach out to people with disabilities with the gospel and incorporate those individuals in all areas of the church.
Disabilities ministries are Biblically based. Matthews 28: 19 commissions:
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations baptizing them in the name
of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Ghost”
Ellen G White was not silent on the issue of disabilities ministries. She provided a powerful, holistic approach to the ministry that encompassed the spiritual, emotional, education, physical cultural and social aspects of the non-disabled person’s life as it related to individuals with disabilities.
She discussed that in a quote in III Testimonies P. 511.
At Miracle Temple our mission is to: Create a comfortable and accommodating environment for people with disabilities, both within our church community and the wider community.
What is Disabilities Ministries?
Disabilities ministries (DM) are collectively blending the talents and skills of all people, including persons with disabilities and non-disabled to ensure
The mission to reach all people moves from vision to reality.
Four Major Goals, in keeping with the church’s goals:
- Accessibility: Including disabled persons in programs
- Accommodation: Ramps, transportation, parking, and signing.
- Encouragement: Promote development and utilization of people with disabilities.
- Employment: To encourage employing organization of the church to use fair and equal opportunities to employment.
The American with disabilities Act (ADA) signed by George W Bush in 1990 is a landmark legislation to extend civil rights protection to people with disabilities. It prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, state and local government services, public transportation, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and telecommunications
(Although religious institutions are exempt, the SDAC believes it has an obligation to extend the civil rights protection to people with disabilities.
What is the definition of Disability?
1. A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities or
2. Having a record of such impairment; or
3. Being regarded as having such impairment.
There are not only physical disabilities, in fact there are seven (7) major disabilities:
What has the Disabilities Ministry of Miracle accomplished?
- We were able to get additional handicapped parking spaces.
- Disability awareness education
- The Deaf population – (the Deaf do not believe they are disabled)